Monday, August 8, 2011

Figs Two Ways: Part One Low-Sugar Fig-Ginger Jam

Although Figs do not grow locally in Massachusetts, I couldn't walk away when I saw some Black Mission figs at Idlywilde Farm here in Acton. I looked in some of my canning books to try and find a recipe to use since Figs are low in both pectin and acid, and I wanted to be sure I was using a tested recipe.

I found the follow recipe in The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and other Sweet Preserves by Linda Ziedrich. I love this book, and always find myself glancing through it for ideas.

Ingredients:


  • 1 lbs chopped ripe figs (about 12 figs)

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 3 tbsp. lemon juice

  • 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger (Yum!!)
Directions:


  1. Place all of the ingredients in a pan over medium heat

  2. Stir until the sugar dissolves

  3. Raise the heat to medium-high and stir until the jam has thickened (it took me about 5 minutes)

  4. Ladle the jam into sterilized jars, and process for 10 minutes.

  5. Make 2 half-pints

And who doesn't want to slab that on some toast!!








No comments:

Post a Comment